(FILLED FOR 2018-2019)
The Development Fellow is integral to making our programs possible & successful.
You will work with our highly skilled Development Team to raise funds for the organization. In this position, you will assist with grant writing, direct appeal writing, and with donor communication. You will also be critical to ensuring the success of our annual fundraiser, The Garden Party, a community event we host to raise awareness and funds.
What you’ll do:
- Work with contracted grant writer and Schoolyard Roots staff to research and write grants
- Assist with direct mail appeals, coordinating and overseeing list integration, organization, mailing, and reporting
- Research and cultivate potential donors, mining data in the Schoolyard Roots donor management system to design strategy and tailor requests
- Assist with donor communication and stewardship, ensuring donors stay informed of their investment
- Help oversee and implement the Schoolyard Roots annual fundraiser, The Garden Party, annual Donor Appreciation Event, and other events as needed, including managing volunteers, working with an event planner, and ensuring smooth operations, day-of
What we look for:
We are looking for staff members who can actively help us achieve our goal of bringing a garden to every school in Alabama. Additionally, strong candidates will demonstrate the following:
- Believe in making our community a better place, through food
- Undergraduate degree
- Strong writing skills
- Strong communications skills and the ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Able to oversee multiple projects concurrently and remain organized
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently
- Extremely detail-oriented
- Comfortable with Microsoft Excel and Word
- Community: we are a community-based organization and we live that motto on a daily basis. As a team member with SYR, you will feel part of a strong community of energetic people who want to make a big difference. We also take care of one another at SYR and as part of our team, you are joining our family.
- Making a Difference: you will be on the frontlines of positive change in our community. Your work will impact students for the rest of their lives. You have that power and we want to harness it.
- Produce! We grow deliciously fresh produce, using organic methods. Our staff is encouraged to take produce when it’s available (and share recipes, of course!).
- Beauty: the state of Alabama is stunningly beautiful. If you enjoy camping, lounging at the beach, swimming in watering holes, or even spelunking, it is all around us. Our team know some of the best spots to visit and we will be happy to share that knowledge with you.
Duration and Compensation:
This is a collaboration between Schoolyard Roots and the AmeriCorps VISTA program through the Corporation for National and Community Service. This is a one-year, full-time position. Fellows will receive an AmeriCorps Vista Allowances Package.
Schoolyard Roots provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran.